Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Weighing in on the Ai Wei Wei Smashed Vase

This story is a day old and already I have had some robust conversations on art and ethics.  I find this to be a fascinating story.  Maximo Caminero smashed a piece of Ai Wei Wei's art.  Or was it his?  Was it partially his?  The crushing of the vase was done in protest of a new museum(and museums in general) not giving attention or focus to local artists.  So, Ai Wei Wei took a 2000 year old art artifact and arguably destroyed it by pouring house paint all over them.  What gave Ai Wei Wei any more right to destroy art than Maximo Caminero?  Is it because Ai Wei Wei bought the vases?  Does buying art constituted owning it to the point of being able to alter it?  Not according to U.S. law.  When I sell a work of art, it is understood that I maintain the copyright of the image.  It may be possessed, but not altered UNLESS my permission is given.  Anyone who does otherwise is breaking the law.  I think Mr. Caminero should have done what I would have done.  I would have walked right past that museum thinking.... ah look.. more crap.  That art is for the elites.  Let them keep it.  The best art can not be found in museums.  The best art is done in private spaces, on the internet, on the streets, etc.  Art is no longer confined to traditional venues.  Mr. Caminero would be better off ignoring that part of the art world and focus on finding those who agree with his aesthetic.  It's a different game.  Those who don't hop aboard the train will get left behind- including artists.

No comments: