Thursday, August 14, 2014

Throw Back Thursday

I hope everyone is having a great Thursday afternoon.  My contribution to Throw Back Thursday is a photo of one of my paintings from my Senior year of college.



One of my many inspirations is calligraphic writing.  I love Arabic, Japanese, and Hebrew writing especially.  I played with the possibilities of the figure and an ultra-simplified way to try and get as many narrative figure possibilities as possible.  I was able to fit in 5 figures from 9 shapes.  I looked at it as kind of a challenge or a game to see how much I could convey with as few elements as possible. I still operate the same way today.  This was painted on HEAVILY gessoed green tent canvas.  It was free.  It was available, and I was a poor college student.  Needless to say, I burned through gesso.  The rest was painted with acrylic paint- I can not stand oil.  Keep watching and reading.  New art is coming soon.

No comments: