Thursday, November 7, 2013

Let's talk about Kitsch.

Historically, I've thought of macrame owls, or decoupage as Kitsch.  Odd Nerdrum declared himself a Kitsch painter and not an artist.  He doesn't see it in opposition to 'art', just a different system.  He basically describes 'art' as a heady system that doesn't take into account the human condition.  In a way, I agree.  "Art" has become largely inaccessible to the majority of the public.  One reason is that they can not relate.  People like to relate.  I guess according to Odd Nerdrum my work could be included in the 'Kitsch Movement'.  I strive for an emotional response from viewers, and many of my pieces are figurative.  I have had a very strong interest in the Human Condition most of life.  I study people.  I listen.  I try to learn and understand.  This is one of my motivators for making art.  However, my art is above Kitsch.  My art may be often light, bright, and sometimes humorous, but it is also more than just wall decoration.  What are your thoughts on the Kitsch Movement or art in general?
Dawn of the Kitsch Movement

No comments: