Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Second adventure to San Francisco

Last Thursday Chip and I flew out to San Francisco for the first time since our 10th anniversary three years ago this November. This time we traveled there with the purpose of experiencing the notorious Folsom Street Fair. For those of you who do not know, it's a fair-now in it's 26th year- celebrating all sorts of sexual fetishes with an emphasis on the leather scene.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folsom_Street_Fair
It was kinda nice being back in San Francisco. It was a great being in a nicely compact and densely populated city with excellent public transit. However, what I didn't know was that September is San Francisco's warmest month, and yes, it was hot. The downsides, I must confess outweighed the good in this trip. The heat apparently activated the city's many hundreds of homeless and they were exceptionally aggressive, the city smelled awful, and the crowds were so tightly packed at many of the bar and street events that they couldn't be enjoyed. I tend to get highly claustrophobic in tight crowds in cramped spaces(which is every gay bar in San Francisco, so I wasn't engaged very much. I did had some alternative plans and made my own fun on a couple of nights though.
My general thoughts on the event are: 1. There were way too many unattractive people wearing too little clothing while the attractive people were wearing too much. 2. I didn't see all the public sex I was expecting to see- and that I had read and been told would happen. I found nothing about it shocking, but maybe it's because I lead a 'more exciting' life than most people? Lastly, there were several booths that went a little over-board with the whips and chains and paddles and such. I'm of the opinion that a little of that can go a long way, and that people who are good at sex don't need so many 'accessories' to have an awesome experience.
Bottom line: It was sexual, but not sexy.

No comments: